The Thinking Mechanism is a series of weekly posts, published on Fridays, covering the ideas The Mechanism is thinking and talking about with our peers and clients.
• After more than 3 years of development, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) HTML Working Group has voted to move the HTML5 draft specification to Last Call status.
• Ad Age looks at the demographics of social media.
• This week Facebook began allowing brand tagging on photographs shared on the site. This reminds us of IKEA’s Showroom campaign implemented in 2009 (see a case study video here.) Think about what they’ll be able to create next using this new functionality.
• However that’s not the most significant Facebook news of the week. After four and half years Facebook has been granted a patent on image tagging.
• Another must see Google Labs Chrome Experiment Film: Rome’s 3 Dreams of Black.
• WordPress.com has dropped support for IE6.
• Macworld has a great collection of articles taking a close look at the 10th anniversary of Apple’s first retail stores.
• Put the ritalin down: In Praise of Shortened Attention Spans.