Jeff Croft – @jcroft – Beautiful Layouts Through Beautiful Type
This presentation was eerily similar to my Typography for the Web presentation, so here are notes on the other things that I found interesting during the talk.
- Absolute vs. Relative font-positioning: because page-zoom is now in most modern browsers, we can choose which one we want to use per situation. There’s always a balance between accessibility, ease of use, etc.
- Be careful of contrast! Pure black on pure white is usually too high contrast
- Tufte’s idea is that we should use the smallest effective differences for hierarchy. We don’t have to make huge differences in type to indicate hierarchy.
- Links need to stand out, but shouldn’t distract the reader.
- WP-Typography is a WordPress plugin that does hyphenation, gets rid of orphans, replaces with smart quotes and dashes, and wraps initial quotes for individual styling.